Softcover book by Nancy and Robert A. Stern
Over 760 pages
Copyright © 1970, 1975, 1980, 1985, 1988, 1991 by John Wiley & Sons, Inc.
1. Full programs will be illustrated and assigned beginning with Chapter 1.
2. A debugging section with practice problems is in each chapter beginning with Chapter 2.
UNIT I THE BASICS
1. An Introduction to Structured Program Design in COBOL
2. COBOL Language Fundamentals: The IDENTIFICATION and ENVIRONMENT DIVISIONs
3. The DATA DIVISION: FILE SECTION and WORKING-STORAGE SECTION
4. Designing Complete COBOL Programs: A Closer Look at the PROCEDURE DIVISION and the PERFORM Statement.
UNIT II DESIGNING STRUCTURED PROGRAMS
5. The Theory of Structured Program Design
6. Moving Data and Printing Information
7. Computing in COBOL: The Arithmetic Verbs
8. Selection Using the IF Statement
9. Iteration: Beyond the Basic PERFORM
UNIT III WRITING HIGH-LEVEL COBOL PROGRAMS
10. Control Break Processing
11. Debugging Programs and Validating Data
UNIT IV ARRAY PROCESSING AND TABLE HANDLING
12. Single-Level Arrays and Tables
13. Multiple-Level Arrays and Tables
UNIT V FILE MAINTENANCE
14. Sequential File Processing
15. Sorting and Merging
16. Indexed File Processing
17. Interactive Processing
UNIT VI ADVANCED TOPICS
18. Using Advanced Debugging Aids and Improving Program Performance
19. The COPY and CALL Statements
20. The Report Writer Module
21. Relative File Processing
A. COBOL Character Set and Reserved Words
B. VAX and IBM Operating Systems and Text Editors
C. Data Set for Programming Assignment 2 in Each Chapter
D. Major Differences between COBOL 85, COBOL 74, and the Proposed New COBOL Standard (199x)
E. Gateways to Other Programming Concepts: Database Management Systems and Object-Oriented Programming
F. A Brief Overview of CICS
G. An Overview of Microsoft COBOL and RM/COBOL-85 for the IBM PC
A Review of COBOL 85 and COBOL 74 Features as Highlighted in this Book
Interpreting Instruction Formats (inside front cover)
Program Design Features (inside back cover) "
It is in pretty good used condition with moderate wear to the cover including a few creases.
No torn or ripped pages, but there are some folded corners.
There are several pages with underlining and markings written by the previous owner.
The cover states that it includes a Free COBOL Syntax Reference Guide.
There is NO separate reference guide unless it is included as part of the regular textbook.